Liberation Day Tour
We’ll be travelling to North Korea for the biggest celebrations of the year in the form of Liberation from the Japanese in 1945. North Koreans love an anniversary and they don’t come much bigger than this one. We’ll be attending any mass performances that will take place as well as singing and dancing with locals in the park!
During our Group A Liberation Day tour we’ll see everything you must see within Pyongyang such as the War Museum, the Mausoleum of the leaders, ride the Pyongyang Metro and a day trip down to the DMZ from the North side!
For those who want to explore more beyond the essentials, this is the perfect time to do an extended tour. Group B tour will be visiting the border city of Sinuiju. We’ll visit a Kindergarten, go for a hike to Dongrim waterfall (and swimming under the waterfall!) visit a co-op farm, and walk along the river that divides China and North Korea.
There is the likelihood of a mass games performance on this tour. Please enquire at the time of booking.
The Mass Games is the world’s largest performance with over 100,000 people participating. Now is your chance to watch this incredible performance! Ticket prices are on-top of tour cost and are available to be purchased in Pyongyang. Ticket prices will be announced closer to the event. We highly recommend securing your spot on tour early as we expect spaces to fill up very quickly.
Wednesday 12th August
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a central Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Thursday 13th August
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Friday 14th August
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Grand People’s study House- main academic center for adult learners. This grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over Kim Il Sung Square.
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Drive down to Kaesong city – located only 8km away from the DMZ
- On the way stopping at Sariwon City (Capital of North Hwanghae province) to view the city from the mountain pagoda.
- Photo op at the Reunification monument standing over the Tongil Highway.
- Check into the Folklore Hotel in Kaesong.
- Dinner and overnight at the hotel.
Saturday 15th August - Happy Liberation Day!
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Head back to Pyongyang.
- Special celebratory events (optional: approx €20) – We will take part in any events that are possible to attend.
- Spectate and join in university students performing a mass dance near an iconic Pyongyang monument!
- Dinner at a local restaurant complete with a special performance from the waitresses.
- Visit Kaeson Funfair – entry €2.
- To be confirmed: attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea,
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Sunday 16th August
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Helicopter ride optional extra – we’ll drive to Pyongyang Airport for a VIP lunch (included) and board a Soviet Mi-17 to take on a 40 minute aerial tour of Pyongyang city. (€250)
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Drinks at the Taedongang #3 brewery with seven different beers on tap!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ Restaurant.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Monday 17th August - Group A Depart
- Flight takers depart at 8:50am for Beijing arriving 9:55am local time.
- Train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing.
Group B continues:
- Depart Pyongyang by train at 10:25am and arrive in the remote village of Dongrim at approx 2:30pm.
- Check-in and prepare for afternoon hiking
- Hike to Dongrim Waterfall and explore surrounding valley of the mountain range, if you're brave enough you can take a dip beneath the waterfall
- Dinner and overnight at the Dongrim Hotel – a swanky hotel with a swimming pool. sauna, table tennis, massage, bars & karaoke.
Tuesday 18th August
- 1 hour drive to Sinuiju stopping at:
- Co-operative farm – we’ll look out to where the locals grow rice, cabbage, chilli and cucumbers for the making of kimchi.
- Tour the Pomhayanggi Cosmetics Factory and meet some local workers that produce some of North Korea’s most famous cosmetics.
- Visit the mosaic images of the “Three Tigers of Mt. Paektu” - Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il and Kim Jong Suk.
- See the large central square of Sinuiju and visit the statues of President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il.
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Head to the local Folklore Park where there may be chances to engage in traditional Korean activities (extra charges apply for taking part in the local games - these will vary from game to game) or you can simply walk around and enjoy the scenery and watch the locals
- Visit the Art Studio which holds over 250 pieces of DPRK fine art in six large halls – some amazing art pieces here!
- Bonbu Kindergarten and performance – The performance here is the best of any Kindergarten in the country.
- Explore Amnok park and walk down to the Amnok River (Yalu River) and see the original Korean/Chinese Friendship Bridge bombed by the Americans during the Korean War.
- Take the 4:30pm bus and go through Korean customs to finish tour in Dandong, China.
- Board the 6:30pm overnight sleeper train from Dandong to Beijing.
Wednesday 19th August
- Arrival in Beijing at 9am. End of Tour.