National Day Tour (With Mass Games)
This is North Korea’s foundation Day!
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be visiting Kim Il Sung Square, stopping by a local fun fair, exploring the Pyongyang Metro, visiting the Mausoleum where Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state, checking out the Korean War Museum, and much more!
What makes this tour stand out from the others is we’ll spend a night down in Kaesong city at a traditional Korean Folklore hotel, only 8km from the DMZ!
During your tour, we’ve been given special access to a Soviet Mi-17 helicopter to take for a spin around Pyongyang city for a unique aerial tour of the capital.
This ride is completely optional and is €250 per person on top of the tour costs. If you are interested please let us know while booking.
The Mass Games is the world’s largest performance with over 100,000 people participating. Now is your chance to watch this incredible performance! Ticket prices are on-top of tour cost and are available to be purchased in Pyongyang. Ticket prices will be announced closer to the event. We highly recommend securing your spot on tour early as we expect spaces to fill up very quickly.
Thursday 5th September
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Friday 6th September
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Saturday 7th September
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Helicopter ride optional extra – we’ll drive to Pyongyang Airport for a VIP lunch (included) and board a Soviet Mi-17 to take on a 40 minute aerial tour of Pyongyang city. (€250)
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Drinks at the Taedongang #3 brewery with seven different beers on tap!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ Restaurant.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Sunday 8th September
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Grand People’s study House- main academic center for adult learners. This grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over Kim Il Sung Square.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Drive down to Kaesong city – located only 8km away from the DMZ
- On the way stopping at Sariwon City (Capital of North Hwanghae province) to view the city from the mountain pagoda.
- Photo op at the Reunification monument standing over the Tongil Highway.
- Check into the Folklore Hotel in Kaesong.
- Dinner and overnight at the hotel.
Monday 9th September – National Day!
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Head back to Pyongyang.
- Special celebratory events (optional: approx €20) – We will take part in any events that are possible to attend.
- Spectate and join in university students performing a mass dance near an iconic Pyongyang monument!
- Dinner at a local restaurant complete with a special performance from the waitresses.
- Visit Kaeson Funfair – entry €2.
- To be confirmed: attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea,
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Tuesday 10th September
- Flight takers depart at 8:50am for Beijing arriving 9:55am local time.
- Train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing.
Wednesday 11th September
- Train members arrive at central Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.