Victory Day & Mt Paektu Tour
This is the celebration to mark the end of the Korean war which resulted in an armistice agreement, signed on July 27th 1953.
During this tour we will be taking part in the celebrations, as well as hanging out with locals in the park, watching the fireworks and joining in the Mass Dance! It’s truly a great time to be in Pyongyang!
We’ll also be hitting up all the must see sights of Pyongyang including the Mausoleum where both President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il lay in state. We’ll experience the deep Pyongyang metro as we ride six stations of line 1! We’ll also have an opportunity to visit the Korean War Museum and see the North Korean story of the war. No trip to the DPRK is complete without visiting Panmumjom (the DMZ) from the North side where North and South Korea meet head on.
We’ve combined the victory celebrations with a trip to the iconic Mount Paektu in the far north of Korea!
We’ll be chartering our very own Antonov aircraft to reach the sacred site. We’ll also stop by the Secret Base Camp where Kim Jong Il was reportedly born & stay overnight in the quaint town of Samjiyon.
This trip only happens once a year. It’s a special one not to be missed!
Thursday 23rd July
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at the Beijing Zhong Gu Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary & receive North Korean visas and tickets.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Friday 24th July
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:00am for the extensive border control from the Korean side
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Group will meet at Air Koryo check-in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome before transferring directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Saturday 25th July
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Lunch at the Moranbong Chicken Restaurant
- Visit Moranbong park to dance, party and mingle with the locals as they celebrate the biggest holiday of the year!
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Sunday 26th July
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr's Cemetery – The resting place of the greatest of the anti-Japanese revolutionary fighters. It offers great views over the city.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Start our drive down to Kaesong city – located only 8km from the DMZ
- Photo opportunity of the Monument to National Reunification.
- On the way stopping at Sariwon to walk in the local folklore park and view the city from the hill top pagoda.
- Check into Korean Folklore Hotel in the old town of Kaesong
- Dinner, drinks and overnight at hotel
Monday 27th July
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Drive back to Pyongyang
- Special celebratory events (optional: €20) – Yet to be confirmed but we will take part in any holiday events that are possible to attend.
- See the Mass Games (TBC)
- Expected mass dance for Victory Day, join in or just watch for excellent photography opportunities!
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
Tuesday 28th July
- Check out of hotel and jump aboard our very own Rocky Road Travel chartered flight departing Pyongyang Airport and flying north to the small town of Samjiyon located right on the border with China – for you aviation enthusiasts this is the ultimate old Soviet experience as we fly in a small 44 seater Antonov 24! (1 hour flight time)
- Arrive in Samjiyon Airport and drive to Mt Paektu – the most famous mountain on the Korean peninsula.
- Stop an hours hike away from the top of the peak.
- Take in the spectacular views from the top of the mountain. If weather permits we can hike down to Heaven Lake that lies in the middle of the volcano.
- Picnic lunch on top of the peak!
- We’ll head back down the mountain and head to Mt Paektu secret base camp – the centre of the anti-Japanese revolutionary struggle and reported birthplace of General Kim Jong Il.
- Visit Rimyongsu Waterfall
- Explore Chongbong – This is where the main force of the KPA camped. It features the headquarters, kitchen, barracks, and a statue of President Kim Il Sung.
- Dinner and overnight at the Begabong hotel. The hotel is most famous for its BBQ’d potatoes! We'll enjoy a night around the bonfire.
Wednesday 29th July
- Visit Samjiyon Revolutionary Museum and learn more about the town.
- Head to Samjiyon Grand Monument by the stunning Lake Samji.
- Lunch at Begabong Hotel
- Board our own chartered flight back to Pyongyang
- Visit Taedonggang Micro Brewery #3 to sample some of the 7 brews they have available! Soft drinks, coffee, juices, and snacks are also available
- Dinner and farewell drinks at Dongsong restaurant
- Overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel to experience another hotel in Pyongyang! This hotel was built for the World Youth Games back in 1989 and has Pyongyang’s only outdoor swimming pool!
Thursday 30th July
- Flight group depart at 10:30am for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving at 11:30am local Beijing time).
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing on train K28.
Friday 31st July
- Train takers arrive at Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.