Victory Day Tour
This is the celebration to mark the end of the Korean war which resulted in an armistice agreement, signed on July 27th 1953.
During this tour we will be taking part in the celebrations, as well as hanging out with locals in the park, watching the fireworks and joining in the Mass Dance! It’s truly a great time to be in Pyongyang!
We’ll also be hitting up all the must see sights of Pyongyang including the Mausoleum where both President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il lay in state. We’ll experience the deep Pyongyang metro as we ride six stations of line 1! We’ll also have an opportunity to visit the Korean War Museum and see the North Korean story of the war. No trip to the DPRK is complete without visiting Panmumjom (the DMZ) from the North side where North and South Korea meet head on.
Our longer tour will take us up to Mt Myohyang where we’ll visit the famous International Friendship Exhibition where gifts from all around the world were presented to the past and current leaders of the North Korea.
July 23 – 31st, 2020.
Thursday July 23rd
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:00am for the extensive border control from the Korean side
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Group will meet at Air Koryo check-in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome before transferring directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Lunch at the Moranbong Chicken Restaurant
- Visit Moranbong park to dance, party and mingle with the locals as they celebrate the biggest holiday of the year!
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr’s Cemetery – The resting place of the greatest of the anti-Japanese revolutionary fighters. It offers great views over the city.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Start our drive down to Kaesong city – located only 8km from the DMZ
- Photo opportunity of the Monument to National Reunification.
- On the way stopping at Sariwon to walk in the local folklore park and view the city from the hill top pagoda.
- Check into Korean Folklore Hotel in the old town of Kaesong
- Dinner, drinks and overnight at hotel
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Drive back to Pyongyang
- Special celebratory events (optional: €20) – Yet to be confirmed but we will take part in any holiday events that are possible to attend.
- See the Mass Games (TBC)
- Expected mass dance for Victory Day, join in or just watch for excellent photography opportunities!
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
- Group A Flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arrive in Beijing at 9:55am local time.
- Group A Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing, arriving in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am on 29th July.
Group B continue onto:
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Visit a North Korean Film Studio – We can tour the film sets and try on some costumes!
- Visit Mansudae Art Studio, This is where the country’s most important art work and statues are created. We will also get to meet some of the local artists too.
- Lunch at the Gold restaurant
- Drive out to the beautiful Mt Myohyang
- Arrive in Hyangsan county located within the mountain ranges of Mt. Myohyang. Here we’ll check in and drop our bags off at the Chongchun Hotel.
- Hike up the scenic mountain range of Mt. Myohyang (3 hours total)
- Dinner and overnight in Chongchun Hotel
- Visit the International Friendship Exhibition – Two large gift houses holding the gifts presented to both Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il and Kim Jong Un from people, governments and institutions all over the world.
- Pohyon Temple – One of the 5 famous temples of Korea.
- Lunch at Chongchun Hotel
- Drive back to Pyongyang and stop on the way at Ryongmun Cave – one of the most famous cave complexes in the North Korea.
- Munsu Water Park. This place has it all – indoor pools, amazing water slides, cafes, shops, beer bars, table tennis, billiards, massage, you name it. (Extra charge)
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Dinner at the Potonggang Restaurant
- Farewell drinks at the Taedonggang #3 Micro Brewery – The best place to get 7 different types of Taedonggang draft beer.
- Overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel to experience another hotel in Pyongyang. This one has an outdoor pool.
- Group B flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arriving in Beijing at 9:55am local time
- Group B Train members depart at 10:30am for Beijing, arriving in Beijing at 09:30 am on Friday 31st July.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Dates don’t work?