Liberation Day Tour
Our Liberation Day tour takes in one of the biggest celebrations of the year in the form of Liberation from the Japanese in 1945. This year is the 75th anniversary so we can expect a lot of celebrations and even a military parade!
During our Group A tour we’ll see everything you must see within Pyongyang such as the War Museum, the Mausoleum of the leaders, ride the Pyongyang Metro and a day trip down to the DMZ from the North side! We’ll also be in Pyongyang during the anniversary. We expect mass dancing & performances, fireworks and more!
Our Group B tour will take you to the east cost of the Korean peninsula to the lovely and sunny city of Wonsan. This is a very popular holiday destination for Koreans. Here we’ll try the delicious and fresh seafood caught along the pier and spend the afternoon swimming with local families. We’ll also have time to explore the impressive International Children’s Summer Camp.
2020 is a year of anniversaries in the DPRK. Between Liberation Day and Party Foundation Day, there’s never been a better time to visit North Korea.
Check out our blog for more info – What is Liberation Day?
So come join us as we hit up another exciting summer in the North Korea and take you around on this amazing tour! Don’t forget your swimming trunks!!
*This tour is capped at only 10 people giving you the added flexibility of a small group. We’ll also stay at the famous Yanggakdo island Hotel!
75th Anniversary special!
Thursday - August 13th
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 2pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers. It’s a great opportunity to ask any last questions you may have.
- The train departs Beijing Central station at 5:25pm. There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 9:00am.
- Between these hours you are free to grab yourself some breakfast and walk to the river that separates China and North Korea.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to be met in arrivals by your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:30pm and transfer directly to the Yanggakdo hotel.
- In the evening your tour leader will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides. The hotel is North Korea’s most famous place to stay and is a real trip highlight itself. It has everything from bowling to karaoke to a swimming pool and massage parlour. Enough to keep you entertained!
- Dinner and overnight at the Yanggakdo Hotel.
August 15th - Happy Liberation Day!
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Special celebratory events (optional: approx €20) – We will take part in any events that are possible to attend.
- Spectate and join in university students performing a mass dance near an iconic Pyongyang monument!
- Likely Military Parade – to be confirmed soon.
- Grand People’s study House – main academic center for adult learners. This grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over Kim Il Sung Square.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Dinner at the National Restaurant
- To be confirmed: attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea,
- Overnight in the Yanggakdo Hotel
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Munsu Water Park – a modern indoor and outdoor Waterpark built recently in Pyongyang. Sunday is the most popular day for locals to come and take advantage of the facilities. Lots of families, couples and friends mingling. Incredible for photography.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Drinks at the Taedongang #3 brewery with seven different beers on tap!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ Restaurant.
- Overnight in the Yanggakdo Hotel.
- Early drive south to Kaesong.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here! We should be the first ones here thus avoiding all the crowds!
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture. There’s also a wonderful stamp and postcard shop here so you can send postcards to your friends and family. Don’t forget to write down the address before you travel!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by a goat farm in Sariwon where the locals will perform a traditional dance!
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Last night beers at the Taedonggang Micro Brewery! They have seven different types of beer here.
- Overnight in Yanggakdo Hotel.
Group A Departs:
- Flight takers depart at 8:50am for Beijing arriving 9:55am local time.
- Train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing. Arrive at 9am on the 19th in Beijing’s main station.
Group B continues:
- Breakfast in Pyongyang and drive to Wonsan city (4 hours) stopping at Sinpyong Lagoon along the way for a quick rest.
- Picnic lunch at Ulim Waterfall – one of the most beautiful waterfalls in North Korea.
- Arrive in Wonsan & check into Tongmyong hotel overlooking Wonsan Bay and the East Sea.
- Visit Songdowon International Children’s Union Camp – This summer camp was designed for both domestic and international guests.
- Walk along the pier to Chok Islet where the locals will be fishing, drinking and enjoying their own BBQs with friends and family.
- Dinner at a nearby famous seafood restaurant near the hotel. Our favourite restaurant in the DPRK!
- Overnight at Tongmyong Hotel
- Take a walk around Wonsan Central Square and the nearby port to see North Korea’s very own cruise ship named the Mangyongbong-92. It used to ship passengers and cargo to Japan.
- Visit the former Railway Station which has now been converted into a Revolutionary site with an old Japanese stream engine on display.
- Visit Wonsan Beach for a swim or play volleyball with the locals (the entry for the beach is €2 per person)
- Lunch at a local Wonsan restaurant.
- Drive back to Pyongyang
- Stop by Kaeson Youth Park – a nighttime funfair beside the Arch of Triumph..
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant in Reunification District
- Overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel to experience another hotel in Pyongyang. It boasts Pyongyang’s only outdoor swimming pool!
- Drive towards Nampo – a port city located on the west coast of the Korean peninsula.
- Chollima Steel Complex – One of the DPRK’s most famous industrial sites (TBC)
- West Sea Barrage – A terrific example of socialist construction, the barrage was built to control the rising Taedong river and produce fertile farmland.
- Swim at Nampo beach and hang out with the locals!
- Picnic lunch on the beach
- Chongsan Co-operative farm – a great example of the DPRK farm model.
- Drive back to Pyongyang
- Dinner and overnight in the Chongnyon Hotel
- Group B flight takers depart at 9:00am for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving in Beijing at 10:00am Beijing time).
- Group B train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing on train K28. Arrival in Dandong at 16:30 and transfer to the overnight express to Beijing.
Saturday - August 22nd
- Train arrives in Beijing at 9am local time. End of Tour.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Dates don’t work?