Untouched North Korea Tour (& Entire Pyongyang Metro)
This is a big one – for first time visitors and returners alike. Our Untouched North Korea Tour is a perfect mix of standard North Korean attractions and the lesser seen sights of the country. It will also take in the National day celebrations in Pyongyang!
We’ll kick off the tour with a trip to the southern city of Kaesong. Here we visit the Joint Security Area of the DMZ with a colonel from the Korean Peoples Army. What’s more exciting is that we will also visit a section of the DMZ that no-one else does. It’s a North Korean Look out post where we can spy on South Korean military installations!
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be visiting Kim Il Sung Square, stopping by a local fun fair, exploring every single station on the Pyongyang Metro, visiting the Mausoleum where Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state, checking out the Korean War Museum, and much more!
Then we head to the lesser seen East coast and the cities of Wonsan and Hamhung. Both places we’ll take in the beaches, schools, factories and more.
During your tour, we’ve been given special access to a Soviet Mi-17 helicopter to take for a spin around Pyongyang city for a unique aerial tour of the capital.
This ride is completely optional and is €250 per person on top of the tour costs. If you are interested please let us know while booking.
Also likely to happen but not confirmed yet is the Mass Games. The Mass Games is the world’s largest performance with over 100,000 people participating. Now is your chance to watch this incredible performance! Ticket prices are on-top of tour cost and are available to be purchased in Pyongyang. Ticket prices will be announced closer to the event. We highly recommend securing your spot on tour early as we expect spaces to fill up very quickly.
The Untouched North Korea Tour is the most in dept and off the beaten track tour of North Korea so book today!
Sunday September 6th – Tuesday September 15th
Sunday September 6th
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:00am for the extensive border control from the Korean side, along the way photography of rural North Korea from the window is permitted.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 13:25pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check-in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides
- Dinner and overnight at the Yanggakdo Hotel.
- Drive down to Kaesong city – located only 8km away from the DMZ
- Photo op at the Reunification monument standing over the Tongil Highway.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Head back to Pyongyang.
- On the way stopping at Sariwon City (Capital of North Hwanghae province) to view the city from the mountain pagoda.
- Dinner at the National restaurant
- Overnight in the Yanggakdo Hotel.
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Spectate and join in university students performing a mass dance near an iconic Pyongyang monument!
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Special celebratory events (optional: approx €20) – We will take part in any events that are possible to attend.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Dinner at a local restaurant complete with a special performance from the waitresses.
- To be confirmed: attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea,
- Overnight in the Yanggakdo Hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Helicopter ride optional extra – we’ll drive to Pyongyang Airport for a VIP lunch (included) and board a Soviet Mi-17 to take on a 40 minute aerial tour of Pyongyang city. (€250)
- Unique Highlight – Explore 13 of the 16 incredible Pyongyang metro stations. You will become one of only a handful of foreigners to see this many stations.
- Mangyongdae Schoolchildren’s Palace. The largest extra curricular place of leaning in North Korea. We’ll take in a tour and a live performance!
- Drinks at the Taedonggang micro brewry
- Overnight in the Yanggakdo Hotel.
- Check out of our hotel and drive to Hamhung – this is North Korea’s second largest city and a centre of industry on the east coast. It was only recently opened to foreigners.
- On the way we’ll stop at Sinphyong Lagoon for a quick rest stop.
- Picnic lunch at Ulim Waterfall – one of the most famous waterfalls in North Korea.
- Visit the Tongbong Co-operative farm – here we’ll see a working farm with their latest machinery. We’ll also visit a family’s home and a kindergarten.
- Visit the bronze Statues of President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il in the main square of Hamhung city.
- Check out the pagoda on the hill that overlooks the city.
- Dinner, drinks and overnight at the Majon beach Resort.
- Visit the Hungnam Fertiliser Factory – this factory produces the much-needed fertiliser for the entire east coast of North Korea.
- See the Hamhung Grand Theatre (exterior) – the largest theatre in North Korea
- Ancient home of Ri Song Gye – one of the founders of the Ri Dynasty
- Lunch at a Hamhung hotel
- Drive south to Wonsan City – North Korea’s most famous holiday town!
- Trip highlight! – Swim at Wonsan beach and chill with the locals!
- Walk along Wonsan pier to Chok Islet where the locals will be fishing, drinking and enjoying BBQ. Optional 5 euros extra to join in for a seafood feast!.
- Dinner at the famous Wonsan seafood restaurant. Our favourite restaurant in North Korea.
- Drinks and overnight in Tongmyong hotel overlooking the bay.
- Early stroll around the main square and port in the city. See the Mangyongbong-92 cruise ship which once ferried Koreans to and from Japan.
- Visit a former Railway Station where an old Japanese built steam engine is on show.
- Songdowan International Children’s Camp– This renovated camp was designed as a summer camp for both international and North Korean kids. It features a small water park, dorms, water park, aviary & Aquarium!
- Lunch at a local Wonsan restaurant
- Drive back to Pyongyang (5 hours) stopping along the way for snacks and drinks.
- Stop by the Tomb of King Tongmyong
- Dinner at the famous lamb BBQ restaurant on Reunification District.
- Drinks and overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel.
- Flight takers depart at 8:50am for Beijing arriving 9:55am local time.
- Train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing.
- Train members arrive at central Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Dates don’t work?