National Day & North East Tour
This tour includes the rural north east Korea which is way off the usual tourist trail!
We combine the must see sights of Pyongyang and the DMZ with a connecting domestic flight – something that is certainly unique for an experience in North Korea.
Our journey first starts in Beijing where we’ll board our overnight sleeper train to Pyongyang.
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be visiting Kim Il Sung Square, exploring the Pyongyang Metro, visiting the Mausoleum where Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state, checking out the Korean War Museum, and much more!
Next on our agenda, we’ll fly domestically to North Korea’s third largest city; Chongjin. Here we’ll visit a local kindergarten where the workers of the Kim Chaek steelworks factory send their children to study. We’ll also explore the recently renovated square and the revolutionary museum that tells the history of the battle for liberation against the Japanese during the Second World War.
Our next destination is Mt Chilbo, famous for it’s incredible beauty. Here we’ll stay in the only home-stay available in the country. This is a one of a kind experience will lead us to spend our day’s and night’s eating, drinking, playing sports and exchanging photos with our Korean hosts. We’ll also take advantage of the mountains here and go for gentle hikes along the peaks for spectacular views over the ocean. We’ll have a night in remote Gyongsong before making our way back to Orang Airport for our flight back to Pyongyang! This concludes our tour of the rural north east of Korea.
Once arriving in Pyongyang we’ll meet our old guides again to end the tour in style with a day trip to the DMZ to see where both North and South Korea are divided.
And there you have it! All the must-see sights of North Korea in one very convenient and not to be missed North East Korea tour.
Way off the beaten track!
Monday September 7th
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph – This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Special celebratory events (optional: approx €20) – We will take part in any events that are possible to attend.
- Spectate and join in university students performing a mass dance near an iconic Pyongyang monument!
- Drinks at the Taedongang #3 brewery with seven different beers on tap!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ Restaurant.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Grand People’s study House– main academic center for adult learners. This grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over Kim Il Sung Square.
- Helicopter ride optional extra – we’ll drive to Pyongyang Airport for a VIP lunch (included) and board a Soviet Mi-17 to take on a 40 minute aerial tour of Pyongyang city. (€250)
- Lunch at the famed Moran chicken restaurant.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Mangyingdae Schoolchildren’s Palace – here we’ll watch a spectacular kids performance!
- Stop by a local department store – here we can buy local made items and use the local North Korean currency! You can take some home as a souvenir.
- Dinner at a local restaurant complete with a special performance from the waitresses.
- To be confirmed: attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea,
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Depart 10:00am on an Air Koryo flight to Orang Airport in the North East– this is a unique opportunities to fly domestically within North Korea!
- Arrive at Orang Airport at 10:50am and drive to Chongjin (2 hours) – North Korea’s third largest city.
- Check-into Chongjin Hotel and have lunch at the seaman’s club.
- Visit the renovated city square and pay respects at the statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il
- We’ll walk around the square to visit the newly built E-Library.
- Visit the Revolutionary Museum of Chongjin
- Visit the local Kim Chaek Steel Complex Kindergarten for a Children’s Performance
- Chongjin Foreign Languages school – Here we will have the chance to practice English with the students.
- Visit the Soviet Martyrs Cemetery – this cemetery was built to commemorate the Russians who landed in Chongjin to help battle the Japanese Aggressors during WW2. The Cemetery has a fantastic view of Chongjin’s port.
- Dinner and drinks at Namgang Restaurant with a performance.
- Overnight at Chongjin Hotel
- Visit the Foodstuffs Factory – where bread, soju and other sweets are made locally in Chongjin.
- North Hamgyong Mushroom Factory
- Drive to Mt. Chilbo national park stopping along the coastal road for some amazing scenic views
- Arrive at the entrance to Mt. Chilbo for an explanation of the area using the world’s largest mineral painting map as a guide.
- Lunch at the Outer Chilbo hotel.
- We’ll begin our easy hike through the mountains of Chilbo – this region is the most famous part of North Hamgyong province.
- We’ll stop by Kaesim Buddhist Temple and meet the local monk here
- We’ll drive to the homestay village where we’ll be greeted by our families and then taken to our homes.
- Dinner and overnight at Homestay village
- We’ll begin another hike, this time up to Tokgol and Gangsonmun areas – these are the highest peaks of the Mt. Chilbo area.
- Picnic lunch once we reach the top!
- Jump on a local fisherman’s boat and drive out to see to see the magnificent Mt. Chilbo from afar (€5 extra)
- Spectate or play volleyball with the locals, help with some light chores or walk around to meet the neighbors!
- Optional Korean wrestling tournament with the villagers.
- Bonfire party on the beach with the villagers, singing songs and dancing.
- Dinner and overnight at the village – two guests per family.
- Drive north to Yombun revolutionary site – On the way we’ll stop at some very scenic salt farms
- Gyongsong Revolutionary Museum
- Jipsam Revolutionary Site with picnic lunch along the stunning coastline
- Explore the Gyongsong City Walls dating back to the Koryo Dynasty
- Gyongsong Health Spa (50 RMB) – Public sauna and bathing facilities. This is famous around North Korea for its health benefit.
- Dinner and overnight at the Gyongsong Hotel
- Gyongsong Revolutionary site – A house once used by the North Korean President Kim Il Sung. Here we will learn about his revolutionary exploits in the region.
- Explore Changyon lake with stunning views
- Picnic lunch along the lake – here we’ll meet with local fishermen and prepare freshly caught seafood over the BBQ!
- Drive to Orang airport and board our 3:00pm flight to Pyongyang
- Arrive at 3:50pm
- Walk along the new Scientist Street to see one of the newest residential areas in town
- Overnight in the Chongnyon Hotel. Home to the only outdoor swimming pool in Pyongyang!
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel
- Flight takers depart at 9:00am for Beijing on Air Koryo arriving at 9:55am local Beijing time.
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for the overnight train to Beijing.
- Train arrives in Beijing at 9am local time. End of Tour.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Dates don’t work?