Party Foundation Day Tour
This celebrates the foundation of the Workers Party of Korea. It’s one of the biggest holidays in North Korea.
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be seeing all the must see sights of the capital such as the Mausoleum, the Juche tower, ride the Pyongyang Metro, visit the Korean War Museum and much much more.
We’ll also head down to Kaesong. This city is 8km away from the DMZ that divides Korea. We’ll then make our way to Panmumjom where we’ll meet our own local Korean People’s Army officer for a detailed tour of the site.
Our extended and highly recommended Group B tour will take us all the way to the east side of Korea to visit the famous Mt Kumgang region. We’ll first arrive in Wonsan, which is a popular holiday destination for North Koreans. Here we’ll try the delicious and fresh seafood caught along the pier and spend the afternoon swimming with the locals. We’ll also explore the newly renovated International Children’s Summer Camp.
The following day we’ll head to Mt. Kumgang to hike Kuryong falls and explore the gorgeous Samil Lagoon. With the Autumn season setting in, Mt. Kumgang is particularly stunning during this time of year. We’ll spend the night here before heading back to Pyongyang and concluding the tour in Beijing.
This is our only group tour that heads to the Mt. Kumgang region so be sure to book early to secure your spot!
The Mass Games is the world’s largest performance with over 100,000 people participating. Now is your chance to watch this incredible performance! Ticket prices are on-top of tour cost and are available to be purchased in Pyongyang. Ticket prices will be announced closer to the event. We highly recommend securing your spot on tour early as we expect spaces to fill up very quickly.
• Twin share accommodation (single supplements are available for an extra 40 EUR per night).
• Train in and out Beijing-Pyongyang-Beijing. Flights are extra.
• All meals in the DPRK unless specified in the itinerary.
• Korean and western guides.
• Air-conditioned bus and driver.
• All entrances (unless otherwise stated).
• Extra drinks and souvenirs.
• Cost of visas.
• Tips for Korean guides and the driver.
• Additional events not listed in the itinerary.
Monday 7th October
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Tuesday 8th October
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Wednesday 9th October
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Lunch at the Gold restaurant
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Stop by the Taedonggang Micro Brewery for some refreshments. They have seven different types of beer here.
- Dinner at the National restaurant with a great performance!
- Overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Thursday 10th October – Party Foundation Day
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr’s Cemetery – The final resting place of the greatest of the anti-Japanese revolutionary fighters. Offers great views if the city too!
- Helicopter ride optional extra – we’ll drive to Pyongyang Airport for a VIP lunch (included) and board a Soviet Mi-17 to take on a 40 minute aerial tour of Pyongyang city. (€250)
- Lunch at the Moran Hill Restaurant
- Walk up along Moran Park located in the heart of Pyongyang. Here the locals come to celebrate the day with their families and friends. BBQ, dancing, singing and drinking are commonplace.
- Special celebratory events (optional extra: approx €20).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Participate at Mass Dance ceremony held at the monument. A fantastic and unique photo opportunity!
- To be confirmed: Attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea for an extra fee.
- Overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Friday 11th October
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight in Sosan Hotel.
Saturday 12th October
- Group A flight takers depart at 9:00am for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving at 9:55am local Beijing time).
- Group A train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing. (Arriving at 9:00am on Sunday the 13th).
Group B continues on -
- Drive to Wonsan City – the best beach town in North Korea. 5 hours driving in total including a rest stop at:
- Sinpyong Lagoon
- Arrive in Wonsan and check into the Tongmyong hotel.
- Lunch at a nearby restaurant, famous for its fresh seafood.
- Songdowan International Children’s Union Camp- This camp caters for both domestoc and international visitors.
- Swim at Wonsan beach and mingle with the locals!
- Walk along the pier to Chok Islet where the locals will be fishing, drinking and eating BBQ.
- Dinner at Tongmyong restaurant.
- Overnight in Tongmyong Hotel.
Sunday 13th October
- Head further south to Mt. Kumgang scenic region.
- Stop at Samil Lagoon for stunning views and a pit stop.
- Check into Mt. Kumgang Hotel – this hotel was renovated by the South Koreans and boasts spectacular views of the Mt. Kumgang range.
- Hike to Kuryong falls with incredible views of multi-colored scenes.
- Stop by Mt. Kumgang Natural Spa.
- Dinner and drinks nearby the hotel.
- Overnight at Mt Kumgang Hotel.
Monday 14th October
- Drive back to Wonsan.
- Walk around the central square in the city and see the DPRK Mangyongbong-92 cruise ship with a brief explanation.
- Visit the former Railway Station Revolutionary site where an old Japanese steam engine is on display.
- Drive back to Pyongyang stopping at the famous Ulim Waterfall for a picnic lunch.
- Visit Meari Shooting Range.
- Stop by a beer bar.
- Dinner at the Liberation restaurant.
- Overnight at the Chongnyon Hotel to experience another hotel in Pyongyang. The hotel has Pyongyang’s only outdoor swimming pool!
Tuesday 15th October
- Group B flight takers depart at 9:00am for Beijing on Air Koryo. (Arriving at 9:55am local Beijing time).
- Group B train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing on train K28.
Wednesday 16th October
- Train takers arrive in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.