National Day Tour
This is North Korea’s foundation Day! It has been celebrated annually on September 9th since the founding of the DPRK in 1948.
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be visiting Kim Il Sung Square, stopping by a local fun fair, exploring the Pyongyang Metro, visiting the Mausoleum where Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state, checking out the Korean War Museum, and much more!
During your tour, we’ve been given special access to a Soviet Mi-17 helicopter to take for a spin around Pyongyang city for a unique aerial tour of the capital.
This ride is completely optional and is €250 per person on top of the tour costs. If you are interested please let us know while booking.
If this wasn’t enough, we are also expecting the Mass Games to be announced!
The Mass Games is the world’s largest performance with over 100,000 people participating. Now is your chance to watch this incredible performance! Ticket prices are on-top of tour cost and are available to be purchased in Pyongyang. Ticket prices will be announced closer to the event. We highly recommend securing your spot on tour early as we expect spaces to fill up very quickly.
Beijing – Pyongyang – Kaesong – Sariwon – Pyongyang – Beijing.
Sunday September 6th
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
- There will be a chance to stock up on supplies for the journey. There’s also a restaurant car on the train.
- The train is a full sleeper with all bedding and pillows provided
- Overnight on the train.
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph– This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK (optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Special celebratory events (optional: approx €20) – We will take part in any events that are possible to attend.
- Spectate and join in university students performing a mass dance near an iconic Pyongyang monument!
- Drinks at the Taedongang #3 brewery with seven different beers on tap!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ Restaurant.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Grand People’s study House– main academic center for adult learners. This grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over Kim Il Sung Square.
- Helicopter ride optional extra – we’ll drive to Pyongyang Airport for a VIP lunch (included) and board a Soviet Mi-17 to take on a 40 minute aerial tour of Pyongyang city. (€250)
- Lunch at the famed Moran chicken restaurant.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Mangyingdae Schoolchildren’s Palace – here we’ll watch a spectacular kids performance!
- Stop by a local department store – here we can buy local made items and use the local North Korean currency! You can take some home as a souvenir.
- Dinner at a local restaurant complete with a special performance from the waitresses.
- To be confirmed: attend the Mass Games – The world’s largest performance! Ticket prices to be announced. Tickets can be purchased whilst on tour in North Korea,
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
- Flight takers depart at 8:50am for Beijing arriving 9:55am local time.
- Train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing.
- Train members arrive at central Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.
**We will take care of every detail of the North Korea visa application as well as getting you to Pyongyang and back from Beijing. We’ll also help you with your China visa application by supplying an invitation letter. If you are planning to apply for the 144 hour China transit visa on arrival then we will send you your DPRK visa and flight ticket to Pyongyang so you can apply on arrival in Beijing.
Dates don’t work?