Spring Budget Tour
This is an off peak North Korea budget tour.
We’ll be hitting up all the must see sights of Pyongyang including the Mausoleum where both President Kim Il Sung and General Kim Jong Il lay in state. We’ll experience the deep Pyongyang metro as we ride six stations of line 1! We’ll also have an opportunity to visit the Korean War Museum and see the North Korean story of the war. Finally no trip to the DPRK is complete without visiting Panmumjom (the DMZ) from the North side where North and South Korea meet head on.
All of this packed into one North Korea budget tour for a truly unbeatable price!
Day 1 - Monday 9th March
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at the Beijing Zhong Gu Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary & receive North Korean visas and tickets.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Day 2 - Tuesday 10th March
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:00am for the extensive border control from the Korean side
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Group will meet at Air Koryo check-in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome before transferring directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Day 3 - Wednesday 11th March
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Lunch at the Moranbong Restaurant
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Stop by a Beer Bar to join the locals for refreshments.
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Day 4 - Thursday 12th March
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr's Cemetery – The resting place of the greatest of the anti-Japanese revolutionary fighters. It offers great views over the city.
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot Restaurant
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Visit Mansudae Art Studio, This is where the country’s most important art work and statues are created. We will also get to meet some of the local artists too.
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Overnight in Sosan Hotel.
Day 5 - Friday 13th March
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
Day 6 - Saturday 14th March
- Flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arrive in Beijing at 9:55am local time.
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing, arriving in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am on Sunday 15th March.