Spring Festival Tour
Join us on our first tour of the year during the lunar new year festivities! Our Spring festival North Korea tour will be exploring all the must-see sites around Pyongyang such as the Mausoleum, the incredible Korean War Museum, the Juche Tower, Kim Il Sung Square, the Pyongyang Metro, bowling, micro-breweries and much much more.
We’ll also head north of Pyongyang and to Mt Myohyang where the International Friendship Exhibition is situated in the mountain and holds gifts presented to both Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il and Kim Jong Un. One of the most unique highlights of North Korea and definitely not to be missed!
No trip to the DPRK is complete without visiting the iconic DMZ, site of the division of Korea where our group will have our very own friendly Korean’s People Army officer to guide us around.
Tickets are limited during this busy season of travel so please be sure to book your Spring festival North Korea tour early so we can ensure your spot on the tour is secured.
Day 1 - Friday 24th January
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at the Beijing Zhong Gu Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary & receive North Korean visas and tickets.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Day 2 - Saturday 25th January
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:00am for the extensive border control from the Korean side
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Group will meet at Air Koryo check-in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome before transferring directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Day 3 - Sunday 26th January
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr's Cemetery
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot Restaurant
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Dinner and drinks
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel
Day 4 - Monday 27th January
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
Day 5 - Tuesday 28th January
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Stop by a local department store – here we can buy local made items and use the local North Korean currency! You can take some home as a souvenir.
- Pyongyang Gold Lane Bowling. Playa game or hang out at the bar!
- Stop by Mansugyo Beer Bar – a very popular bar with the locals, soft drinks and coffees also available.
- Dinner at the National restaurant with a special musical performance!
- Overnight at the Sosan Hotel
Day 6 - Wednesday 29th January
- Drive out to the Mt Myohyang region – north of Pyongyang.
- Visit the famous International Friendship Exhibition – two large gift houses that hold the gifts presented to both Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il from all over the world.
- Pohyon Temple – One of the five famous temples of Korea and one of the largest Buddhist temples in the North Korea.
- Lunch at the Hyangsan Hotel – a stunning five star deluxe hotel situated between the mountain ranges.
- Drive back to Pyongyang and on the way stopping at Ryongmun Cave – one of the most famous cave complexes in North Korea and is famous for its stalactite and stalagmite formations.
- Head to the Shooting Range! It comes with rifles, pistols, archery, virtual games and automatic rifles. (extra cost)
- Dinner and drinks at a local restaurant in Pyongyang
- Evening walk along Ryomyong street – a new street constructed in 2017 with a metro station, local shops and tall apartment buildings
- Overnight at Sosan Hotel.
Day 7 - Thursday 30th January
- Flyers depart Pyongyang at 10:30am on Air Koryo, arrive in Beijing at 11:30am local time.
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing, arriving in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am on Friday 31st January.
- End of our Spring Festival North Korea tour.