New Years Tour
Celebrate and welcome in the New Year in Pyongyang style!
On New Year’s Eve, we start the celebrations off by dropping into a few bars and then hanging out with locals at the Rakwon beer bar. We then head off to Kim Il Sung Square to watch the fireworks! During our frosty visit, we’ll visit the Mausoleum where both leaders lay in state, ride the Pyongyang Metro, visit the Korean War Museum, and visit the DMZ to hear an explanation of the division of both Koreas.
During our tour, we’ve been given special access to a Russian Mil Mi-17 helicopter to take for a whirl around Pyongyang city for a unique aerial tour of the capital.
We’ll swoop around the 105 storey Ryugyong Hotel, do a low flyby of the Taedong River passing the Juche tower, have a great glimpse of May Day stadium – the world’s largest stadium, and explore the many districts sprawling across the city for fantastic and unique photography opportunities. This joyride is completely optional and is €250 per person on top of the tour costs. If you are interested please let us know while booking.
We’ve included an extra day into this tour for the same cost as a regular five-day tour! So don’t waste any time, book with us now and secure your spot for a one of a kind New Year’s celebration!
Friday 27th December
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at the Beijing Zhong Gu Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary & receive North Korean visas and tickets.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Saturday 28th December
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:00am for the extensive border control from the Korean side
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Group will meet at Air Koryo check-in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome before transferring directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel.
Sunday 29th December
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyr's Cemetery – The resting place of the greatest of the anti-Japanese revolutionary fighters. It offers great views over the city.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Visit Kwanbok department store. Here we can shop with the locals and have access to the local North Korean currency!
- Dinner at a Restaurant on Kwangbok Street – try the famous Pyongyang cold noodles or Korean Bibimbap.
- Overnight in Sosan Hotel.
Monday December 30th
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Sosan hotel.
Tuesday 31st December
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Helicopter ride option – we’ll drive to Pyongyang Airport for a VIP lunch (included) and board a Mi-17 to take on a joyride for a 40-minute aerial tour of Pyongyang.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Visit Mansudae Art Studio, This is where the country’s most important art work and statues are created. We will also get to meet some of the local artists too.
- Dinner at the National Restaurant
- Rakwon Beer Bar
- Ring in the New Year with fireworks on Kil Il Sung Square
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Wednesday 1st January
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Munsu Water Park to warm up! This place has it all - indoor pools, amazing water slides, cafes, shops, beer bars, table tennis, billiards, massage, you name it. (Extra charge)
- Pyongyang shooting range.
- Dinner with performance.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Thursday 2nd January
- Flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arrive in Beijing at 9:55am local time.
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing, arriving in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am on Friday 3rd January.