Winter Budget Tour
This is an off season budget North Korea tour.
North Korea only opened up to tourists during the winter months in 2014. Since then we’ve been leading tours throughout the year. The winter months are fascinating as it gives you a wonderful insight into how the locals deal with the chilly conditions. It’s also low season so we’ll likely be the only tour in town.
This is a budget North Korea tour but you won’t be missing out on any of the “must-see’s”.
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be visiting Kim Il Sung Square, exploring the Pyongyang Metro, visiting the Mausoleum where Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state, checking out the Korean War Museum, visiting the DMZ and much more!
Come and see beautifully cold and crisp North Korea during the winter when no one else dares too!
Monday 6th January - Day 1
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at a Beijing Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary, receive your North Korean visas and tickets, and meet your fellow travellers.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Tuesday 7th January - Day 2
- Train group arrive in Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then departs again for Sinuiju at 10:00am.
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Meet group at Air Koryo check in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 3:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome and transfer directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Sosan Hotel. The Sosan was recently renovated so it's a very good standard for a budget North Korea tour!
Wednesday 8th January - Day 3
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot restaurant.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Drinks at the Taedongang #3 brewery with seven different beers on tap!
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ Restaurant.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Thursday 9th January - Day 4
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetary - Memorial and resting place to the Japanese revolutionary heroes.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Grand People’s study House- main academic center for adult learners. This grand building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over Kim Il Sung Square.
- Mansudae Art Studio - The center of North Korean art production. Here's we'll also have a chance to meet some artists.
- Pyongyang Gold Lane bowling alley. (€2.50 per game)
- Kwanbok department store. Here we can exchange foreign cash into local money and buy North Korean made goods!
- Dinner and Drinks
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel
Friday 10th January - Day 5
- Hit the road early for our 3 hour bus ride down to Kaesong city
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Head back to Pyongyang.
- On the way stopping at Sariwon City. We can try the local rice wine here!
- Dinner at a restaurant complete with a special performance from the waitresses.
- Overnight in the Sosan Hotel.
Saturday 11th January - Day 6
- Flight takers depart at 8:50am for Beijing arriving 9:55am local time.
- Train members depart at 10:25am for Beijing.
Sunday 12th January - Day 7
- Train members arrive at central Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am.