Winter Essentials Tour
Join us as we draw nearer to the end of the year and as Pyongyang enters its beautiful frosty winter season! This is an action packed little tour. We will be visiting Pyongyang, Nampo, and the DMZ in five days. That’s all the essentials covered and more.
This trip offers us a very insightful look into what the country is like, and how it copes in winter. Plus it gives you the chance to be one of the very few tourists in the country at this time.
During our tour in Pyongyang we’ll be visiting Kim Il Sung Square, a local fun fair, exploring the deep Pyongyang Metro, visiting the Mausoleum, the War Museum, the DMZ and much much more!
Monday 25th November
- Meet your Rocky Road guide at 1:30pm at the Beijing Zhong Gu Hotel near Beijing Railway Station. During this meeting, we’ll go through the tour’s itinerary & receive North Korean visas and tickets.
- Train takers depart Beijing Central station at 5:25pm for the 24 hour sleeper ride to Pyongyang.
Tuesday 26th November
- Train group arrive at Dandong at 7:00am for Chinese border control then depart for Sinuiju at 10:00am for the extensive border control from the Korean side
- Flight takers depart Beijing Airport Terminal 2 on Air Koryo at 12:00pm (Group will meet at Air Koryo check-in counter).
- Flight group arrive in Pyongyang at 4:00pm to a warm welcome from your Korean guides.
- Train group arrive at 6:45pm to an equally warm welcome before transferring directly to the hotel.
- In the evening your guide will show you around the hotel before taking you for drinks and to get to know your Korean guides.
- Dinner and overnight at the Yanggakdo Hotel.
Wednesday 27th November
- Hit the road for the 3.5 hour drive to Kaesong and the DMZ.
- Koryo Museum – Korea’s first university and now a UNESCO museum of history and culture.
- The DMZ – tour Panmunjom with a friendly army officer who will give you the look around. You can even take photos with the army here!
- Lunch in Kaesong City – on the menu will be traditional Korean Pansangi, a series of dishes served in bronze bowls. (Optional extras- Dog Soup €5)
- Stop by Sariwon to view the city from the mountain top pagoda.
- Try locally brewed Makkoli in a local tea house.
- Stop by the Monument to the Three Charters of National Reunification that stands over the Thongil (reunification) Highway.
- Back to Pyongyang in time for dinner at the Duck BBQ restaurant.
- Overnight at the Yanggakdo hotel.
Thursday 28th November
- Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – This is where the Leader’s Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il lay in state.
- Stroll through Mansudae fountain park taking in the Grand Peoples Study House and see the mosaic pictures of the leaders.
- Visit Mansudae Grand Monument – the two large bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il.
- Lunch at a Korean Hot Pot Restaurant
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum. This incredible museum features dioramas, captured weapons, the Victory Monument, and the USS Pueblo: the only American military vessel captured by another nation.
- Juche Tower – the tallest stone tower in the world, it represents the Juche Ideology. Central to the teachings of the DPRK(optional extra €5 to go to the top).
- Monument to the Party Foundation – The hammer sickle and brush built in 1995.
- Ride the Pyongyang Metro! See three of the stations and Exit to:
- The Arch of Triumph- This celebrates the victory over the Japanese and the triumphant return of Kim Il Sung to his home town.
- Drive to Nampo city.
- Dinner and overnight at the Ryonggang spa resort.
Friday 29th November
- West Sea Barrage- A wonderful example of socialist construction.
- Chollima Steel Works (Not confirmed)
- Mineral Water bottling plant.
- Chongsan Co-operative farm. One of the most successful co-operative farms in North Korea.
- Drive back to Pyongyang.
- Kim Il Sung Square – The central square of Pyongyang City and a popular meeting point.
- Foreign Language Bookshop – right next to the square and the best place for pins, stamps, books and other souvenirs!
- Grand People’s Study House. This is the main library and learning center for adult students. This huge building is built in the Korean style and affords a great view over the Kim Il Sung Square.
- Stop by a local department store – here we can buy local made items and use the local North Korean currency! You can take some home as a souvenir.
- Dinner at the Duck BBQ Restaurant.
- Overnight at the Yanggakdo hotel.
Saturday 30th November
- Flyers depart Pyongyang at 9:00am on Air Koryo, arrive in Beijing at 9:55am local time.
- Train takers depart at 10:25am for Beijing, arriving in Beijing Railway Station at 9:00am on Sunday 1st December.